Monday, June 13, 2011

Babysitting

I'm 33 and I still babysit.

This week, I have the pleasure of watching my friend's three kids and two of my regulars during the day. I have 2 third graders, 1 kindergartner, and 2 18 month old girls. Wow! Can I tell you how much I love the hours of one to three??? It's nap time!!! Unfortunately, not for me.

Tonight I have a new appreciation of parenting. Granted, I will not be doing absolutely everything the mom normally does...I am not expected to stay up on the housecleaning and the laundry, but I will clean up the messes we make and try to wash what we've used this week.

As the older two boys ran out after dinner (at 8:00), I stood and looked at the counter. There were their plates, spills on the counter, bottles we have used for tacos, my coffee cup (from the morning - will make more for tomorrow), and my salad which sat freshly made and untouched. Thoughts swarmed through my head as I thought of the dishes that needed to be unloaded, new dishes to be washed, getting the young one ready for bed, and still had to take a shower for the day. Wow...how you do you parents do it?

As I sit here tonight, with all three kids in bed, shower now had, listening to music and typing, I realize how spoiled I am in the life of no children. Wow...

Well, I'm off to bed soon...have three more days of taking care of other kids to go and I definitely will sleep well tonight!

1 comment:

Christi.Overman said...

Yep, I've missed your posts! You sound like a typical parent to me! :) You can guess why we waited five years to have the first one and are in NO hurry to have #2...it's the absolute best and hardest thing all in one.

Oh, and how about lunch at Cerulean on Monday during the conference?