Tuesday, June 14, 2011

She gets it...

The two eighteen-month old girls that I am watching during the day are night and day. One is very verbal - forming small sentences that make sense and convey meaning. The other still grunts and points. One is tinier in build, the other is a little larger. One knows me well, the other is still learning me. One loves to be held by me. The other is content sitting and laughing throughout the day. Both LOVE shoes. And by love, I mean they try on all pairs throughout the day for several minutes (which is a lifetime in baby).

Today the verbal child's dad picked up her brother for a dentist appointment. Bad mistake to have him come in. She was in hysterics after he left without her. She cried. And cried. And cried. Even threw herself down for a fit.

The other girl walked over to the table, grabbed the girl's cup of milk and brought it to her to help console her. For not being very verbal, she understood the agony that the other one was going through and wanted to help. It was priceless. So glad I slowed down just to watch today.

8 comments:

elsie said...

Aren't kids fun to watch? How sweet for one to comfort the other.
PS - I have subscribed to Cooking Light for years, but lately find there recipes call for ingredients I can't find. I do get recipes from Southern Living, however, they are usually not low cal.

Ruth Ayres said...

welcome back to the bloggie world. hope to read more of your stories this summer. are you going to all-write? hoping to see you.

Stacey said...

Your noticings about these girls is fantastic. How wonderful it is that you took the time to notice the non-verbal child's response. She's probably just on the verge of getting out those first words, but until then it's clear that she knows how to communicate.

Elizabeth G. said...

You have captured such a special moment. I'm constantly amazed at the empathy children show...even at such a young age. Enjoy watching these two different girls grow and learn.

Nora said...

What a great moment! It's great to see empathy in action.

Sprice said...

I just loved this. I wish I had watched other people's children before I had my own. I took care of my brothers and sisters but that's when I was young. After I waas married for six years, I had not been around children before we started our family and believe me it was "baby shock" for me! Don't get me wrong, I love babies, but I was not ready for what it took and reading your blog, just brought some of that back to me. I loved reading it. So glad you are willing to do this! You are a remarkable young lady and teacher. I always learn from you! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to share with the parents...they are lucky to have you watching so carefully!

Anonymous said...

We are SO blessed to have you in our lives. Words just can't express it!

~XOXO
Nicole