Friday, July 9, 2010

I Got Married!!!

Okay, not really...but kind of.

I went to a nearby town today to pick up a friend from the airport. It worked out that I had the afternoon open and she needed a ride and it would be a great opportunity to catch up since she had moved away.

I stopped at Target for last minute necessary items for Honduras. Noticing that my gas gauge was a little on the low side, I stopped to get gas nearby before heading to a friend's apartment to hang out until my friend's flight got in. I grabbed the ATM card (sorry Dave) and my phone to let my friend know that the flight had gotten in earlier and wouldn't be able to stop and hang out with her, shut my door, and headed to the gas pump. And then I heard it...ding ding ding...honk. Click went the automatic door locks. Normally, this is not a problem, but when you leave your keys in the ignition...it is.

Okay...no keys, no purse, insurance card with information to call emergency roadside assistance is in my glove compartment, and I don't have the number for my insurance agent. Hmmm...what's a girl to do?

I walked into the gas station and said, "I pray that there are angels who can help me unlock my keys from my car."

I could not have been in a better location. Across the road was car dealer upon car dealer. Along came John - a man who worked for Kelley Automotive Services. He told me he would go over and get a slim jim and try to unlock the car. Apparently a locksmith won't unlock your car unless you have proof of registration (um, glove compartment).

My friend, who I was going to visit, graciously went and picked up my friend from the airport and was going to head then over to the gas station to keep me company. She had found my insurance agent's phone number for me and I called (Friday at 4:57 p.m.). Thankfully, he answered and while I was getting information to see if my emergency roadside assistance (again the number was in my glove compartment) covered lock outs, John was on his phone calling Triple A. He stated that his wife had locked her keys in her car and could they come and unlock it...what a dear man!

He had to run some errands (he had taken the day off to buy food for a catering event tomorrow and also happened to work at this gas station part-time - What are the chances?) and left his ID and Triple A card with me as well as his cell phone. I was to call him when they got there and he'd come back.

Side note - I looked at his ID and he was from Ohio...the thought did cross my mind that he was making all of this stuff up. Turned out he lived right over the state border and it was a closer drive for him to get to the town than for me. Whew...now back to my adventure!

About twenty minutes later, Triple A showed up and within five minutes I was in! My friends had shown up in the meantime and we all had a great laugh! John left and I left him a small thank you at the gas station and told him I would pay it forward. Apparently at one point in his life, he had had a flat tire on a busy interstate on a Friday night and had had a broken arm. It took him three hours to change it and not one person had stopped to help. He decided then and there he would help anyone who needed it.

I am so thankful for John's generosity tonight. I am even more thankful that as my trip to Honduras approaches (less than 24 hours), God once again showed me His provision. Tomorrow He gets to show me how He protects me, no matter what.

I won't be blogging while I am gone, but am planning on journaling and blogging that when I get back as well as posting pictures and video.

Please pray that God's glory be shown...that I step out of the way and let Him shine. Pray that the Spirit leads what we say, do, and how we act towards others. I think that right now one of the hardest things for me is to imagine what it's going to be like. I am a planner by nature and having never been out of the country, I have no idea what to expect. I have no schema. It's kind of scary. However, my God is the same here as He is there and thanks to a special friend who reminded me of that, I am excited to praise Him there!

Excited to share with you afterwards, reader.

2 comments:

S. Nieveen said...

great story. Keep your heart and eyes open and you will see God in a new light while you're in Honduras.

Stacey said...

That's some story Cathy.

Safe travels!