Sunday, March 7, 2010

Not bad

Background knowledge - Over the past few years I have lost between 40-50 pounds. I don't know the exact number because I don't get on the scale anymore. It sets my brain into high-drive and I need to remind myself that I am not a number. I am so much more than that. However, recently, I know that I haven't been as diligent with my food, snacks, and work outs (and now my left foot aches - calling doctor tomorrow). Sometimes my brain loves to play the record of "You're gaining all of your weight back." I don't want to go back there. I wasn't free there, but I also would like my body to be a bit smaller than it is now. Fast forward to today's slice.

I had visited my friend's church and was driving over to the local outdoor mall to peruse my favorite store, The Loft. I pulled in to get gas first for my car and as I headed in to prepay (walking in my jean skirt and heels because heels make my foot hurt less - ironic), the glass sliding doors opened as if I was royalty. However, they closed before I was to go into the store (I wasn't close enough yet). I saw my reflection in the doors and my first thought was when I looked at my legs was, "Not bad."

Why is this important? Because for the first time in looking at myself, I didn't tear apart what I didn't like...I complimented my body. I need to do that more often. It liked it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it so hard for us to do that? I am currently trying to get back to my pre-husband weight, and have 10 pounds to go. All my clothes fit better, but I still can't look at myself without seeing every one of those last 10 pounds. I think there was a Valerie Bertinelli/Jenny Craig commercial about that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me that I need to compliment myself more, too! Lord knows it is "easier" to tell myself how awful I look and what/where I could improve...but in the long run I will be a better and happier person if I learn to see the positives first.

Stacia