Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Uh...hello?

Today we were pulled out of our rooms for an hour to meet with our PBIS team (positive behavior). I sat in the room with the teachers as they filed in. The silence was almost overbearing. I wasn't upset to be there...just indifferent. I wanted to hear the ideas that had come from the team and what was going on.

As they began (our co-workers make up the team), papers were passed around. I was pleasantly surprised. Our rules were no longer in place...they had become expectations. A matrix held procedures for students and the adults. One line of print caught my eye. A level two voice will be used.

If any of these teachers had spent any time in my room, they would have known that I do not have rules...I have expectations (thanks Scott!). If any of these teachers had spent time in my room, they would see the voice chart (thanks Stacey). I don't feel as overwhelmed with having new ideas for improving our positive behavior at school, simply because it seems to be already in place in my classroom.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am perfect. However, it's nice to know that I am already one step closer...I'm excited to see how behavior continues to improve at our school when teachers are consistent in their language and their expectations.

No comments: