Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Intimidation

As my students were getting started in reading workshop, the door opened.  Who should walk in, but our two coaches (reading and writing) for our district.

They walk.  Slowly.  They stand together.  They meander.  They talk.  Softly.

At first, I think, "Wow, they chose my classroom to observe a fabulous workshop."  Hey, at least I'm honest...

And then I realize why they are in my room.

Humble pie.

I had come to our writing coach and asked for some help in "organizing" my classroom.

This was my evaluation year and after going over the form with my principal, I asked what I could do to improve.  She had already shared what she thought my strengths were, but like all great teachers know, we always give a student a teaching point.  I asked for mine. I received.  My classroom is...overwhelming.

The coaches were looking to see what is overwhelming about my room.  I value their opinions.  I wouldn't ask for help if I didn't want it.  However, I have to admit.  It was a little intimidating to watch them walk, meander, and talk around my room...

I'm sure pictures will be posted as I change and make my room less "overwhelming".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to know what makes your room look or feel overwhelming. Is it too stimulating? If that was the worst criticism, then I think your evaluation went quite well. Good luck with your organization and making your room less overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Ask and you shall receive! I'm sure they will give you great suggestions that you will turn and make all your own.

Lennye said...

I think we all want our rooms to be more welcoming. I seem to gather stuff! I thik it will be interesting to see what they suggest.