Tuesday, December 28, 2010

NSV

What is an NSV? It's an acronym for Non-Scale Victories and I am planning on sharing many over the next few months.

A few years ago, I made many life changes which resulted in becoming a healthier and fitter me. I am on that path again, but without the scale.

I was asked why by a friend. Because I want to make healthy choices. Because I want to control it rather than it control me (my out of control eating habits). Because I want to wear some clothes that are in my closet that feel too tight to be flattering. Because I want to remain active and be proud of my choices. And for those reasons, I am going to focus on NSV's.

My first NSV was having my third 5K in three weeks be 40 seconds faster! Woo hoo! I ran sprints the other day with a friend and actually smiled during part of the run. I felt like a runner again. I liked the feeling of my legs moving and my arms pumping. It was nice to feel that again.

I know I am not a number and while I will be looking at measurements once a month and how my clothes fit, I am not a number on a scale. The numbers of my clothes and body don't seem to have the power over me that the scale does. I can't bear to know what that number is. I'll either be proud of myself or disappointed and I refuse to do that to me. I've come too far. I just don't want to go back and therefore, need to focus on some NSV's. I hope you can join in sharing my joy as I share them with you.

2 comments:

Juliann said...

I like this idea of NSV. Thanks for sharing it and hope your year yields many NSVs - big and small.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think this is great :)
KJM