Monday, June 14, 2010

Misadventures of Babysitting

Today was a full day. First, summer camp for the older one and a walk with friends for the baby and I. Later on a birthday party for the older one and a doctor appointment for me (and the baby got to tag along).

By the way, the birthday party was a Civil War theme. Apparently, this young one LOVES history, especially the Revolutionary and Civil War. Upon dropping off the older one, the child popped out in a Union getup. So fun. His house was the Appommatox Courthouse. I told him that I've visited there (one of the few places I've been). He was definitely impressed. When I picked up the older one, he had been Ulysses S. Grant in a reenactment. I smiled as each child received a tin cup and an American flag. It's always interesting to me when young ones show such an interest in certain topics.

Anyways, back to the misadventure today. While I was waiting to pick up the older one from the birthday party, the baby had fallen asleep in the car seat on the way back from the doctor. I left her in the car seat in the house and decided I'd close my eyes too. Sure enough...the doorbell rang not five minutes into my snooze. Unbelievable! I saw the little boy ride his bike away as I walked to open the door. He knew that the older one wasn't home yet. Ugh. How dare you ding dong ditch. I laid back down without opening the door since I had seen him ride away. If he did it again, I was going to have to have a talk with him...he is old enough to know better (six). Again...the doorbell rang. So help me, little one, I'm going to have to ask you not to come over...but there he was 20 feet away from the door. Turns out, it was another neighbor boy and I hadn't opened the door yet to see him. Whoops...that'd be my fault.

Just another day in the life of a babysitter.

No comments: