Saturday, March 20, 2010

Importance of Asking Questions

I am attending a reading conference this weekend. I missed the shuttle this morning, so I walked to the convention center (it was only a few blocks).

While waiting for the general session to start, the lady behind him was telling her co-worker that she had missed the shuttle and the people mover wasn't working yet, so she had to walk in the cold.

Not being afraid to ask or talk to strangers (my friends know this about me), I turned around and asked what the people mover was. I was envisioning a flat sidewalk that you stepped on and it moved you to where you needed to be (like in the airports). This would have been perfect for me since I am currently in a boot for tendonitis from running.

She explained it was a vehicle that stopped at different places (similar to a subway) and immediately our walking expedition last night popped into my head. I had seen an elevated track above us as we walked and I finally put two and two together. The tram is the people mover. The lightbulb literally turned on in my mind.

Never be afraid to ask questions!!!

6 comments:

Lennye said...

I've never heard or seen such a thing; however, it sounds like a good thing. I hope your conference is inspiring.

wlb said...

I have never heard of a people mover before. Yes, questions are always worth asking.

wlb said...

I have never heard of a people mover before. Yes, questions are always worth asking.

Anonymous said...

You should try the people mover. The sites are neat to see. The last session I attended talked about how asking questions helps us as writers. :)

Stacey said...

Where are you? Disney?

molly said...

I love the English language, that a vehicle that transports people would be called a "people mover". Is that what it is really called? Amazing. I like the image of the memory of the evening and seeing the elevated track. I like it when we see things, and later realize what they were.