Monday, January 18, 2010

The slice that won't occur tomorrow...

To be honest, one of my favorite times of the day is when I read with the class. I say with rather than to because they are completely involved. Tomorrow, that won't occur...sure, I'll have my reading workshop and writing workshop time to read to them (for a few more weeks), but diving into a book with the students and talking through our thinking isn't going to happen. After I feel that our student teacher is engaging the students and feels comfortable with the read-aloud, I've offered my reading services to other teachers. Isn't that funny? Taking away my read-alouds is like taking away breathing...I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Probably start reading out loud to strangers on the street (to my local friends, anytime you want me to read to you, let me know).

We finished The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo on Friday and the first question the students asked was, "Are we going to read another book by Kate?"

"Of course we are, "I replied, knowing full well that after our student teacher begins to phase out, we'll start The Tale of Despereaux...excited for that!

No comments: