Sunday, October 4, 2009

Trying something new...

This year, we are not going guided reading groups cross grade level. This means, I need to do guided reading groups in my room, but the thought of doing them during our reading workshop is hard. I don't want to take away from our focus lesson, but I also want to allow students to be reading together in groups. So, stations were invented! I tried it on Thursday and Friday and wrote out plans for Monday through Friday of next week. After having our morning meeting, we move into stations - guided reading group, buddy buckets (buddy reading - sometimes ability wise, sometimes not), listening center, words station (creating words using rimes on my desk with magnets), and other stations that will change throughout the year. Currently, they are song binders, ABC station (alphabetical order), and Making 10 (a math game to improve their addition facts). I am excited at how well the students stayed on task and worked Thursday and Friday. The hardest part was organizing names and making sure everyone got to the ABC station and the words station and at least buddy buckets and/or listening center at least once and had no duplications daily or by the week.

Will let you know how it goes...

No comments: