Friday, March 6, 2009

What? slice of life

I had gathered the students into a circle to share what they were expected to do during their centers. While I was waiting for a few students who were lagging in the hallway doing other things, one of my boys began to open up about a home situation. This child could possibly have certain tendancies and doesn't always understand social situations and I wasn't sure where he was going with his story, but thought it was important that he was able to share what he was feeling. As he started to finish up the conversation, he said, "I shouldn't say this..." and right there is where I should have stopped him...but no, what could he say?

"Mom calls (lady name) an asshole." My jaw dropped as I realized that 15 other second graders just heard a word that is not appropriate in class or for them to say anyways...uhhh...what do I do? I did the only thing I could think of...laugh! And then my other students began laughing. I tried to calmly explain why he shouldn't say that word, but the damage was already done. We moved on and I began to explain the magnet centers...but I knew right away I wanted that piece for a slice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wooops! Well that's real life for ya. Great slice.