Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Slice of Life Challenge #6 - Be Still My Body

I strapped on my gloves, lifted the weights, grunted, sweated, and drank my water. I strapped on my cheap, brown, styrofoam pre-wrap jumper knee brace, stretched my legs, stretched my arms, grabbed a towel and started up the treadmill. Around and around the belt went. Causing my legs to run faster. Allowing my body to show what it's learned. Around and around the belt went. Allowing my body to recover and remind myself that I am strong.

After I headed home and had a small bite to eat (you'll see why), I laced up the shoes again. I cruised in my car and picked up another workout fanatic named Heidi. We drove over to a kickboxing class held at a Tae Kwon Do school. Laughing all of the way due to our nervous energy, we arrived to find four other women who were just as excited to begin.

Each jab brought an exhale of air. Each jab brought a leg movement. Each jab brought sore knuckles. Each jab brought my body to a new level. Many jabs, jumps, and mat work later, we are finished. We are slightly winded, but really excited about next Wednesday. Be still my body and sleep tonight, but remember...we have work still to do!

2 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

Cathy, wish I had a buddy to go do a kick boxing class with. It sounds like a change up on the routine that I would love. I am anxious for the snow to melt so that I can start jogging more.
If you are ever coming to the fort wayne area and you want to meet up I would love that!!!! Just give me a call, I'm in the book!

Anonymous said...

I love kickboxing! I used to do a class back home (in MO) that was called Kardio Kombat and it was the best!

Stacia