Monday, March 31, 2008

Slice of Life Challenge #23 - Hot Dogs

My mom called me yesterday...she wanted help in creating this fake food for April Fool's Day. I have a busy schedule...I had lifting and then a kickboxing class later on Monday night. In between I try and do school work and get a quick bite to eat. When I told her that I couldn't make it, the twinge in her voice made me call her back.

***

After my lifting, I headed to my mom's. I sliced open Twinkies (my mouth was watering, but my hips said NO) and laid 3 small Tootsie Rolls in them. I then twisted red ribbon licorice and cut up green Airheads. While the fake hot dogs were very cute, I know the best part of the night was the fact that I had helped my mom and enjoyed our time together. While we didn't share any deep insights, it was nice to enjoy the time I have now with her.

As I left, my mom bombarded me with the extra candies and goodies. My students will reap the sugar benefits, but at the same time, I will always remember creating fake hot dogs with my mom. I'm glad I used the time to spend it with her. Sometimes I am too quick to write off hanging out with her. I realize now that I get some of my craziness of wanting to do fun things for others from my mom...and what a great gift that is!

2 comments:

snowflakes said...

I was quick to brush off my mom as well, but now living away from her I try to enjoy the time we have together. I'm looking forward to our wedding shopping and painting this weekend.

I went to my first kickboxing class tonight in a long time---my legs are going to be sore tomorrow. Keep it up!

Blink said...

LOVE the fake food idea. What a wonderful tradition to have with your mom. I am laughing at this whole post. I know it is meant as a warm reflection, but, I am totally picturing these hot dogs and want to now make some, too! Can you post a picture of them? Your mom is a classic. So are the hot dogs.