Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Humbling Thoughts

I always wonder what the teachers are thinking of my students that I had last year that they are starting new classes with...what idiosyncrasies did I help place that will come back up? One of the third grade teachers told me that she had heard about our apology of action already.

Which brings me to my blogging for today...I have three students who are labeled MI. To be honest, I'm not sure how much to expect this year. During morning meeting, I told the class that they were going to have to write down ways that they hurt people or ways people hurt them. One of my MI students said, "Do you mean on the inside or the outside?"

I don't know about you...but that was way beyond anything I had thought. People do hurt us on the inside AND the outside and he was able to vocalize that for everyone...I am so excited to create our apology of action chart and he was one who was able to really push the conversation and hopefully, comments deeper. Just when I don't expect anything, God shows up!

2 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

Did you really post at school at 6:15 a.m.? Wow, that's dedication! Anyhoo, one of the things that spoke to me when I was in my sped. classes was that Special Ed. students are only special ed students at school. At home they are treated like everyone else, they are expected to be like everyone else. That really struck me that school could end up being a real drag for these kiddos, I don't want them to ever think they aren't "expected" to achieve like everyone else.

Unknown said...

HI IT WAS NICE MEETING YOU TONIGHT AT THE OPEN HOUSE. I AM THE AUNT OF THE LITTLE GUY WHO SAID THAT LITTLE QUOTE! HE ALSO SAID ANOTHER ONE FOR YOU TONIGHT ;-) I WON'T BLOW IT FOR YOU SINCE YOU WANT TO BLOG ABOUT IT. BUT I TELL YOU HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH. I CAN SEE WHY. IT JUST REALLY SHOW'S HOW MUCH YOU LOVE YOUR KIDS! ANY WAY IT WAS VERY NICE MEETING YOU TONIGHT. I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND THAT I LOOKED UP YOUR BLOG, THIS IS JUST GREAT.

LUCY BILTZ ( SIS )