Wednesday, March 20, 2013

If you give it, they will...

I don't know if it's due to the way I teach or the type of class I have...but when I start seeing the same things over and over, I am beginning to lean towards the type of teaching.

Giving them the right.  The right to choose their reading.  The right to choose their words.  The right to choose their learning.

Today, another chapter book club was born.  I have four boys who are reading a Magic Tree House book together.  They are picking out words for each other to learn.  Border.  Colt.  UH-mazing!

Today, two girls want to read a book together.  At the end of the day, another girl wanted to join and they headed over to get a book for her.  Knowing our literacy coach had helped out, I walked over to make sure I knew where the books were coming from.

There were three more books in the bag after the new girl joined.  Within three minutes, three more girls joined the group, a homework assignment was set (by them), and a book bag was empty.

Wow!

If you give them a book, a choice, and guidance...some amazing things happen!  And I get a front row seat!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sounds like a great classroom culture of mutual respect!

Joanne said...

Sounds like a great day! I love when you can give choice to students and they know how to use it.
Enjoy!

Tam said...

A good day in the classroom. I give choices more now in real life. I've learned along with my students before I left.