Monday, December 27, 2010

Happiness?

I am currently reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. While some parts are interesting and coming from a secular viewpoint, there was one month where she focused on playing. She chose what she enjoyed doing. It got me to thinking. What do I enjoy?

Currently, I take a Chinese class once a week at our local library. It's taught by an older gentleman and while he is super-sweet, I don't think he understands English very well. At first, I really enjoyed going. It helped me establish a better relationship with my Chinese student in class. As time went on, we end up going over the hour limit. We repeat and repeat, when in my mind I got it the first or second time. I dread going now. I don't look forward to it, but go because I don't him to feel bad. I ended up not going to a college get-together on those nights because I was already tired and just wanted to go home. I can't attend a book study that I really want to try out.

Therefore, I've made a decision. While I will feel bad as the class dwindles down (there are only a few of us that show up now), I would rather spend that hour learning and practicing Spanish or going to a book study. That's what I'm going to do. I feel better. I'm choosing to do what I enjoy.

Is that too selfish of me?

1 comment:

Leslie Broussard said...

I think you have made an excellent choice. I hope you follow through with it!