Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Sidenote and God's perfect timing...

I think it's only fitting that as I write this, it's raining...

If you follow my blog, you'll know that I was terrified of flying to Honduras. However, I was tired of my fear being larger than my faith. So, go big or go home!

I was definitely scared as we drove up (and down) the mountain (yesterday's post). I had no control and I don't think I had enough trust in the drivers. However, as a lesson I learned when it comes to flying, I'm sure the driver wanted to make it back down safely so he could also get home.

That evening I was speaking with one of the leaders that helps and works in Honduras. He, through a translator, told me that he used to be terrified of flying as well. However, he flies a lot for his work. He said we are like eagles. When there's bad weather, eagles have two choices: fly through or give up. Granted, he told it in a much more beautiful fashion!!!

Fast forward to the next night. I had a dear friend from back home write me encouraging cards for each day (she knew how much this trip meant to me). I was behind and so on Friday, I opened Thursday's card. On the front was an eagle...on the inside were verses from Isaiah 40.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

What's even more perfect is that she wrote these cards back in May with the dates that I was to open each card on them. She couldn't have known the perfect timing that God's words needed for me. She couldn't have known the story Johnny was to share. He couldn't have known that she had written to me about soaring on the wings of eagles. But God did. Once again, I am blown away by the perfect timing of my Savior. He so beautifully is ministering to my soul. For that, I am thankful today!


1 comment:

Susan Nations said...

First of all, let me say I read this one post and thought "Wow, this person is a lot like me!" I don't like flying (AT ALL)! I have a heart for missions. I push through my fear to allow God to let me experience His beauty and majesty. In addition, I am a teacher.

I came here from my teaching blog, http://www.literacycoachingservices.blogspot.com BUT I'm also going to add you to my personal blogroll at http://www.learningforlifetime.blogspot.com

Glad our blogging paths crossed today! BLESSINGS!!