Friday, August 13, 2010

Misadventures of Babysitting

The people I babysit for have been buying some organic baby food made by another lady I know. I think it's a great idea! The food comes in pre-portioned frozen ice cube shaped food elements: peas, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, peaches, apples, etc. To make life easier, the mom placed several cubes into plastic ziplock bags and we just scoop out what's needed for baby's lunch.

*** (time has passed mark)

I got out an orange and a yellow bag. I know the carrots (orange) are often thick and I've added squash (yellow) before. I decided to mix them again. After I had squeezed out quite a bit of the squash, I noticed the smell was strangely sweet. Hmmm...something doesn't seem right. I dipped my finger into the squash and tasted it. Yup, you might have guessed...peaches. I had already put both food items into the bowl and had swirled it a few times before I figured out my mistake. Wondering what would happen, I ended up feeding the entire bowl of carrots/peaches to the baby. She ate it...I guess that's a good thing. I've also learned my lesson to smell and possibly taste the food before I mix it.

No comments: