Saturday, November 7, 2009

They got it!!!

I only have five girls this year in my classroom. Which makes the little fights and disagreements that girls get into even more dramatic. They don't have many girls to choose from to partner up with or to even chat with (because apparently the boys are still kind of icky to them) if they have a problem with another. Knowing that some of them were upset with others, I took matters into my own hands and delivered special invitations for lunch in the room with me.

After letting them talk a bit, I finally brought up that with having so few girls and knowing our feelings can often get hurt, I helped explain how they could apologize to each other and accept each other's apologies. One of the girls took it upon herself to apologize for rolling her eyes at another. She accepted her apology.

Another girl looked at me and said, "Miss Cathy, do you remember those mean looks I gave you at the beginning of the year?" Uh, yeah, I did. I simply nodded and said, "Yes." She then proceeded to say, "I'm sorry." I told her I accepted her apology. So sweet! I never expected an apology from the girl, but am so very blessed that she understood enough of her actions to be grown up enough to say she was sorry. It was such a sweet moment that I will not forget for a long time!

They continued with a few more apologies and acceptances. I am hoping that this will spark better understanding among them as the year progresses.

I am inviting the boys next week...to get their ideas on how to get them to work harder. What can I do that will help them? They might have some great ideas!

No comments: