Tuesday, November 10, 2009

:(

I had a sad moment today with a student. I noticed he had many pages of work in his desk. As I took them out and started to hand them to him, I asked him why he hadn't been completing them. He said, "I don't want to." Now before you huff and puff, reader, I thanked him for his honesty. When I asked why he didn't want to do them, he replied with, "I don't like school." My heart breaks...

I pulled him to my desk to have a more private conversation and because I know he struggles in school, I asked if it was because he doesn't understand it. He nodded. I told him that as he did only two pages tonight (rather than make him do all), whatever he didn't understand to circle and we'd do it together.

My heart hurts for a second grader who tonight doesn't enjoy school. I've been praying this year for God to work on my heart with some of these students (simply because there are so many who need extra support and I'm running out of hands) and tonight, God has answered another prayer. My heart is soft towards this child, not hard. I hope to give this child a love for learning, not just school.

2 comments:

SAS said...

I think you stated it best in your s.u.: May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you...
And they ARE Cathy!

Deanna said...

MY first grader said the words, "I don't like school" for the very first time this morning, too, and yes, it definitely made his mommy very sad. Maybe there is something brewing in the Indiana air?!?!