Saturday, December 10, 2011

Friends

Pictured above is the mess that I cleaned up today.  It shows that food was eaten and fellowship occurred.  I had invited some friends over to have some soup on Saturday.  What a blessing it was to see seven women converse with each other.  Some only knew me and some knew maybe one or two others.  I was hesitant at first to invite people from different circles, but it was such a fun time and I was overwhelmed at people asking to bring items or offering to help clean up.

I began 2011 wanting to host a dinner party once a month...lofty goal and I definitely did not achieve it.  I think I made six of the twelve months, but after today, I know I need to be more proactive and just do it.  Sometimes I feel my house is too small or that others won't like the food that's prepared.  But I'm sure everyone else has those thoughts too.  Or, they're worried that the house isn't clean enough or that others will judge them.

After cleaning up, I sat and began a knitting project.  My roommate stopped home for a few minutes before she was headed out again and the conversation came up again.  She asked, "Who's your best friend?"

I couldn't answer her.  I don't have one.  I have some amazing friends that I consider to be my closest and dearest friends who I would share anything with, but I don't like to call any of them my best friend.

Growing up, I always struggled with wanting a best friend and never really feeling like I had one.  As I've aged, I think the label of a best friend is overrated.  I think it puts too much pressure on friendships.  I've heard many married women say that their husband is their best friend.

And what if your best friend has another friend that is their best friend?  See...I just don't like it.

Readers, what do you think?  What does the label "best friend" bring to your mind?

1 comment:

wallickn said...

I have always wanted a best friend, someone you feel 100% comfortable with, who will love you unconditionally, the good the bad and the ugly. Well, after much heart ache and mistakes, I've come to realize the only one who will EVER fit that description is my God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Problem is, He isn't here physically for me like I'd like Him to be. Certainly sometimes I get the privilege of seeing Him through someone's words or actions, but not in the immediacy of a moment, when I feel like I need Him. So, the second closest I get to my description of a best friend is my husband. But I've also learned he simply isn't my savior, nor do I want him to be. Those spots he can't fill are the pieces and parts that my dear friendS (yes, capitalized) fill in (like YOU). :)