Friday, September 25, 2009

Power of the Spoken Word

Today I took my car in to have the tires rotated and a realignment done. As I looked around the room, there were five others waiting while their cars were being work on. A high school boy came and sat down next to me, cause there weren't any other places that were open with single chairs, so I shared my double one. I was all set to put my iPod on and read my book, but instead, I spoke. What happened after that was conversation after conversation among strangers and long lost friends. All I said was, "How was everyone's day?"

For the next twenty minutes, we all chatted. Some left and another came, but what happened went deeper than just conversations...one of the ladies knew my dad and asked if I was his daughter. Another guy shared about his wife leaving after 39 years and the lady sitting next to him discovered they had known each other many years ago. The lady across the way (that knew my dad) shared about her accident and losing her job. The lady next to the water cooler attends the same church as I do and had noticed me when I perform with the drama team. The guy next to me attends the high school in my teaching corporation. The other gentleman next to never really joined us (he truly lost out).

The lady (Jill) that attends church with me, thanked me for what I started. I didn't really start it...okay, I did. But what I discovered after chatting with complete strangers is that we live life in too much isolation. I could have listened to my music, read my book, and shut out the world, but instead I chose to engage those around me.

I challenge you, reader, to do the same around you...let me know what happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's really cool, Cathy. I admire you for that! It would be one of the hardest things for me to do - initiate conversation with complete strangers. I hope sometime I can take your challenge...

KJM