Monday, March 3, 2008

Slice of Life Challenge #4 - Panic!

I began an inferring lesson on Friday with Those Shoes - a great book to show you don't always need everything. We were having so much fun inferring (is that possible?) that I had to stop halfway through because I wanted the students to have some of their own reading time. I set the book on the counter and now we fast forward to Monday. I gather the students in the Hive (our meeting place) and I go to grab the book. IT'S NOT THERE! Now I may be a little more on the chaos side of organization, but I know where my things are! I ask the students if any of them placed it in their book bin. No, was their reply. Do I buy this? Kids, go check your book bins and so began the panic. The book wasn't and isn't mine. I got it from a public library and it's due in three days! I wish you could have been a fly on the wall...fourteen students were running around the room, checking their book bin, a neighbor's book bin, under pillows, in our recycling bin, through our many book baskets. It was no where! I then thought about one student who tends to take things without telling me (most of the time, I don't think it's completely on purpose). In his backpack, I found another book that had also been on the counter. That got me thinking...I called home and sure enough, it was there! I have never been so happy to hear that a book has been found! (I did offer this boy a prize for each book he brings back from home that's mine...we'll see how many prizes I give out.)

On a side comment, I told the class I'd probably have to spend $25 on a new book and one boy told me he'd give me his four dollars. I love my class!

4 comments:

Jane said...

It's nice when kids get so excited about books. Library fines however, can be a real killer! My favorite line, "chaos side of organization." I am there too!

snowflakes said...

Your class sounds great. I'm interested in looking at this book now! I'm glad you found it and the chaos became a little less! :)

GirlGriot said...

I'm definitely curious about this book. It might not be age appropriate for my OSY class, but I'm betting I'll enjoy it!

Kathy Douglas said...

Hey, check out my blog today. It was a fantastic day and part of it was spent with Debbie stuff. Thought you might like to see it! by All Write Kathy