Saturday, March 1, 2008

Language Backfire

One result from Reading Workshop that I love is the way the students talk with myself and each other. However, one of them has reached a new level (which I'll be letting Ellin Keene know about). We have been studying how inferences are made as we read. The other day, one student said to another...I'm not going to let you get away with that. Which caused the other boy to say something more. One of the other comments that was made during our inference discussion was when a student started predicting and one student responded back with, "I think you are predicting." I love that they are naming and responding to each other.

Some of the comments I make to the ever popular "I don't know" are: 1) well, if you did know, what would you say? 2) make it up, and 3) I'm not going to let you get away with that.

While one of my students was getting ready to share their ideas, they responded with, "I know...you're going to say make it up." Another student, when I asked her to "make it up" (meaning come up with something that you're thinking), she said, "lights and towels."

I was a little puzzled and had her repeat herself. When I asked her what she meant, she said, "Well, you said to make it up."

I really and truly do love my class!

No comments: