Thursday, October 11, 2007

Management Help Wanted

In our reading workshop time, this is my breakdown of the time:
  • Focus lesson (with read aloud)
  • Independent reading time (with me conferencing)
  • Writing in notebook
  • Cleaning up to go to sharing
  • Sharing

My questions are for others:

  1. When do you have students meet with their reading partners? I have established partners, but not sure when they should be meeting...
  2. When they are getting ready for sharing, how do I get them from their book nooks to our sharing circle without losing the feel of the workshop?
  3. What are other possibilities for sharing other than just sharing what they have learned about themselves as readers...lessons range from NF facts they learned, how to solve a tricky word, what a series is and how to identify it, and other lessons I have taught them in their conference. They also respond to each other in the group and ask each speaker questions...Are there other ways that they can be sharing?
  4. How long do I have them write in their notebooks? And what do they do when they are finished? Currently, I just have them reading...

Thanks everyone for your input in advance!

2 comments:

Jen Barney said...

Hi Cathy...
I use this for my fourth graders, but you could possibly do something to make it work with your kiddos...
1. I am going to have my students meet with their reading partners AFTER my share time when I am with a guided reading group or book club group.
2. I get my students back to the carpet for share with music... they know once the music is on, they are to stop what they are doing and come to the carpet. I don't even say a word- They just know. Sarah does this as well. (Igot the song idea when I visited Barbara Beans class in Warsaw) It is called Rosenshantz's Greatest Hits.
I usually have three people share unless their is a preticular individual who I want to share due to a special strategy they have gotten.
I am not sure about the other types of sharing... still figuring that out myself! Hope that helps! Take care!

Sarah Amick said...

Cathy, I posted my whole entire lesson for Reader's Workshop. I thought you would like to see it in length perhaps. Hope it helps. If you have any questions you know where to reach me!