It began last night. It exploded this morning.
Every week, I reward slicers who write four or more slices in a week. They then get to share a "slice" of food with me at lunchtime. We've had orange slices, slices of strawberries and bananas, and today we were going to have slices of chocolate pie.
Last night I mixed the chocolate pudding, poured it into the crust, and then put it in the frig to set up overnight.
This morning, while I was multi-tasking, I opened the frig door to pull out the pie. I could tell as soon as I began lifting it out, that something was wrong. It wasn't stiff. It was as runny as the chocolate river in Willy Wonka's factory. Deciding to investigate, I set it on the counter and took off the lid.
Now, I'm not a scientist, but Murphy's law was in full motion today. And once the chocolate liquid was in motion, it continued in motion...all over my countertops, my kitchen floor, and my clothes. I have never seen so much liquid everywhere. Splosh, splish, splash!
After mopping up the floor, wiping off the counters, and rinsing out my clothes, I looked at the culprit. I must have had a bad batch of pudding. The box was lying on the counter (soaked in chocolate liquid). In an instant, I knew what was wrong. It read, "Cook and serve". Whoops!
And after sharing this story with my students today, one of them encouraged me to do a better job of reading directions. I only smiled back. At least they can learn from my example!