Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Making my dad proud

After pulling into my garage, I noticed something odd about the light...my left headlight had gone out. I pulled the car back out and drove two blocks away to my nearest Auto Zone. I had been there just a few months ago and thought I had an idea as to what to do.

After paying for the new bulb, I told the guy I was going to try it on my own...and he reminded me to not touch the glass (I knew there was something I had to remember as I did it).

I popped the hood, felt the heat radiate from the engine, and propped it up. Grabbing the left headlight, I searched and searched and searched for the release buttons. No such luck. Thankfully, another man had stopped and showed me where to release the black levers. I think I got it now.

I tried to figure out the low light...the one in the middle looked most like it. I tried to pull the bulb out. Thankfully, that same man had stayed there and showed me how to turn it and then pull it out. He pulled the bulb off and I put the new one on. I think I got it now.

Nope...turned out I had the high beam lightbulb. I put it back in and then because he had showed me, I was able to pull out the low beam lightbulb. I pulled it off and snapped the new bulb in. I know I got it now. I thanked him and he left me on my own.

It took me a bit to shove the light back in and put the black levers back on, but I got it after trying.

As I was writing this, it reminded me of how many times in workshop I am just like the man that came along and helped. He knew what he was doing and guided me. He showed me, I practiced, and then he left after knowing I had a better grasp of it. I am so thankful for the job that I have and the power that I get to show to students.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I don't even know where the dip stick is under my hood. I'm impressed by your ability to navigate your car's problems.

I especially like the ending of your piece. Great metaphor!

Unknown said...

I love your description of the process and your metaphor at the end. I also love your title because even without ever mentioning your dad in the piece, I still make the connection and understand the feeling of accomplishment you had. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I can't even get my hood open some days.

Kendra Bonnett said...

Nice job, Cathy. Your father would be proud. Thanks for sharing this slice of life. Your story conjures up in me fond memories of working with my dad in his workshop and the time he made me change a tire and put on snow chains before he let me drive my car out west to college. Thanks.

And if you have a recipe and a story, perhaps you'd like to try our writing contest: http://womensmemoirs.com/contests/