Monday, March 8, 2010

The Forbidden

Today was a make-up day for ISTEP for me...pulling just a few students to wrap it up! As one of the students was getting started, I heard a rapping at the door. I looked and noticed our school secretary. She casually let me know to mark the time because we had to do a practice fire drill at that point...whoops! It was a nice day and it was great to get the practice fire drill over for the month of March.

As the office staff was making sure that everyone had been called, I casually asked, "Can I pull it?" I figured they'd say no...there was no harm in asking. Imagine my shock when they said, "Okay."

As we walked towards the bright red box, my left hand was outstretched. I cautiously put my fingers on the lever and taking it all in, I pulled it. NOTHING. I guess I didn't pull it down far enough. I don't have tons of experience pulling fire alarms. I pulled it again and suddenly, there was a loud shrill siren going off in the school. The student and I casually walked out of the building smiling the whole way...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to do that.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I'd love to do that!
Bonnie

Lydia said...

I'm jealous! I think everyone has always wanted to pull one of those little red boxes.

Tara said...

Very cool...I (too) have always wanted to do that!

Anonymous said...

Oh I want to go ask my Principal if I can do that today! :)