Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blueberry Thinking...

We are focusing this week and next on determining what's important as we read. I led into this with an idea from Comprehension Connections, but then I also (while conferencing) thought of another hands-on activity that the kids would understand. Today, as I was reading to them from Recycle by Gail Gibbons, I shared what I thought was important. And how some of the facts that I read were interesting, but not overall the most important thing. I then shared about how it's like a blueberry muffin. Sure, the blueberries are great, but the most important thing is that you have a muffin. Well, then, one of my little cherubs took it a step further and she said, "So...the blueberries would be thin thinking and the muffin would be the thick thinking." I told her to kiss her brain, because that was awesome!

So, I am still up at 9:15 making blueberry muffins for the kids tomorrow...eat while we read and think! Steal away any of you who want to use this idea...chocolate chip cookies would work too...

No comments: