Sunday, September 7, 2008

Realizations

I have been reading What Great Teachers Do Differently by Todd Whitaker. One of the biggest things that has jumped out is the way I should be treating my students. I have tried implementing one technique into my classroom where instead of focusing on the negative behavior done by a few, I let the majority of the kids know I see their behavior. For example, instead of saying, "You are too loud in the hallway" (when it was just a few kids), I'm trying to say, "I appreciate those of you who used our low voices in the hallways." Also, when I'm teaching and kids are talking when they shouldn't, I say, "I appreciate those of you who are tuned into the lesson." It's just a small change, but I've seen some differences take place because of it. Mostly with my thinking and my mannerisms with the class.

Another realization with the book is to treat each child like their parent was in the room. Imagine the amount of respect I would be giving each child!

No comments: