Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Coming...

Today in class, I feel like the elements of our workshops are coming together. One of my boys brought in a dictionary/thesaurus and we were able to talk about that and look up the word belfry, because it came up in our sharing circle discussion. The students are loving finding "buddy" books (multiple copies of books for our partner reading time). Two of my boys were reading the black lagoon books which led to multiple meaning word discussions. I love this!!!

Then as if that wasn't enough, during the afternoon I read Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon. One of my boys predicted and I tried to shush him (shame on me). I then named what he did and as we read (cause I didn't want him to give away the ending if he had heard it). He made a comment that he was right about part of it and I pitched in with that the author tricked him on parts. That led to a discussion about why thinking isn't wrong, it just is sometimes not what the author had in mind and tricked us.

I'm sure there will be more discussions during the year.

BTW, when we were looking at the dictionary, there was an atlas. The boy was trying to find China and one of my girls chipped in with, "There's Indiana...Indiana....Indiana." I was shocked that she could see the formation of Indiana in North America. I looked a little closer...yep, she found India. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is good stuff Cathy! Thanks for your sincere and honest reflection.